I'm breathing a big sigh of relief here that it is Friday, it's been one of those weeks!
It is of course also time for Phindy's Friday Challenge, which is to create a Christmas project using one of Phindy's images. You might well have expected me to use my favourite image, Sleigh Ride, but I thought I'd do something different this week and opted for Jingle Bear. When I say different, if you check out the challenge blog you can see that no less than four of us elected to use Jingle Bear! It's worth looking and seeing just how versatile the image is:). I'm entering him for the ABC Christmas Challenge, which is J is for Jingle Bells, as well as Pile It On, who have Cute & Cuddly as their theme. It's also entered for the ABC Challenge of U is for unused stash, for reasons that will become clear:)
My card began with the background. I was trying to make Distress Ink backgrounds and this was meant to be a soft purple/grey shaded paper. I was too heavy handed with the grey inkpad and ended up with the shape of the ink pad all over. So I turned it on point, added some white gel pen to the "peaks" and voila, a wintry background appeared from my "failed" background. It's fun how sometimes you can end up with something great that is totally different from the effect you were trying for, if a bit frustrating:).
I coloured my image with Copics and cut some snow ridges from leftover white cardstock, then mounted him onto the background. There were some odd bright blue flecks on the card which got covered up with mopre white gel pen, making snowflakes. I found the perfect piece of Artylicious digital paper in my stash, which I've had for years, to go with the background, added some snowflake embossed white card and a ribbon. Sentiment is from Craftwork Cards.
On showing the card to DH he duly admired it but tactfully asked why the image wasn't central on the card. AARRGGHHH! How could I do that? I only had one piece of the stripy DP, and a one-off background, there was no way the card would come apart without tearing something. I looked through my stash and found some peel-offs at the bottom of the drawer - haven't used them in years! A few stars scattered down the RH side of the image, with one in the sky, make it look like the image was meant to be off-set - I hope! So the unused DP worked with the background that I'd made and the unused peel-offs saved the day!
I asked DH if he could see any other problems on the card, somehow I always knew he was always going to say no, regardless of how it looked... ;)
Enjoy your weekend and I hope you find time to make a Christmas card of two with us this week.